I’m sorry I haven’t posted in so long! We are all finally getting over being sick so it’s been crazy around here lately.
I decided to make monster cupcakes for my son’s birthday party. I thought the monster faces on the cupcakes turned out cute. If you are interested in making them, read below for the instructions. In all honesty, since there were so many guests at my son’s party, I decided to make it easy on myself by using monster cupcake picks that I found at Oriental Trading Company rather than decorating each cupcake. I used the same icing technique on the cupcakes but just omitted the eyes and mouths of the monster faces. I thought using the picks turned out almost as cute as the monster faces.
– Ingredients needed for the Hershey’s “Perfectly Chocolate” chocolate cake recipe/your own recipe
– Baking cups (I used the Mini Monster Baking Cups with Picks from Oriental Trading)
– Ingredients needed for white frosting
– Wilton Icing Colors (red, green, blue, and yellow)
– Wilton decorating tip #233
– Decorating bags
– White melting chips (for eyes)
– Dark chocolate melting chips (for mouth and pupils)
– Standard circular decorating tip
– Mini marshmallows (for teeth)
– Optional: cupcake picks (if you aren’t doing monster faces)
- Bake your cupcakes in your baking cups. I used the Hershey’s “Perfectly Chocolate” chocolate cake recipe for my cupcakes. The recipe for the cake can be found here. Allow your cupcakes to cool completely after baking.
- Make or buy white frosting and separate it into four containers for coloring. I made my white frosting by following the recipe found here.
- Decide on the colors you want for your frosting (I used red, green, blue, and yellow). Then use the Wilton Icing Colors you picked to dye each container of your frosting.
- Use a decorating bag and the #233 decorating tip with your colored frosting to create the “fur” for your monsters on top of the cupcakes.
- To make the monster faces on the cupcakes, use a white melting chip for the eye. Then melt the dark chocolate chips and use a decorating bag with a circular decorating tip to create the eye pupils and the mouth lines. You may also be able to use black licorice for the mouth lines. Then press and cut the mini marshmallows so they are shaped like teeth and place them on the mouths. Get as creative as you want with your monster faces!
- If you are like me and have a lot of cupcakes to make, instead of decorating the cupcakes with the faces (the eyes and mouths), you could simply use these cute monster picks. I let my 2-year-old place the picks in the cupcakes. I had her match the colors of the picks to the icing color on the cupcakes. It was a fun way for her to help and a way to practice color identification and matching.
- You are now ready to eat or serve your cupcakes. Store in an airtight container if you are saving your cupcakes to be enjoyed later.
I made the sleeping monster cake below on my son’s real birthday. I followed the same recipes for the cake and frosting. I used two 9-inch round cake pans and layered the two cakes with frosting in the middle. I dyed the frosting a teal color and frosted using a star tip. I used large marshmallows for the monster teeth. I used half of a donut for each eyelid. I made the donut using leftover cake batter and a donut pan.
Feel free to post comments here or on my Facebook page!
**If you like what you see, feel free to pin, share, and link back to my site. Thank you for visiting!