My daughter asked for “LOL Surprise!” dolls this year for Christmas. If you are unfamiliar with these toys (like I was about 2 months ago), they are tiny dolls that come packaged in a plastic ball so you do not know which doll is inside. They are regularly priced at about $10.00 per doll/ball. Somehow, I scored one this year at my local Dollar General for $5 so I was really happy about that deal!
Since spherical-shaped objects can be problematic when it comes to wrapping them for presents, I thought I would share how I usually wrap them. It is very simple and looks really cute (like a wrapped piece of candy) when you are finished! You can even do it for larger spheres like soccer balls or basketballs. The best thing about this method is that you don’t need a box or gift bag at all! See below for the directions.
- Spherical Object to be wrapped
- Wrapping Paper
- Ribbon/yarn/string (I used 3 mm ribbon)
- OPTIONAL: Pinking Shears/Crinkle-Cut Craft Scissors
1. In the end, you want the ball to look like a wrapped piece of candy, so you first need to cut a piece of wrapping paper that is large enough to go around the ball once and have extra length on the sides. For a standard L.O.L. doll, it should be about 15 inches by 20 inches.
2. Wrap the ball with the paper one way and tape where the edges of the paper meet. You should have extra paper sticking out on both sides. Make sure the ball is in the center so that the length of extra paper is equal on both sides.
3. Pinch the extra paper on each side against the ball so it takes the shape of a candy wrapper.
4. Cut a piece of ribbon long enough to tie around the pinched area of one side. When you tie it, make sure to do it tightly. I made a knot so that it would stay really tight. Then you can tie it in a bow, curl it,or do whatever effect you need to create the look you want for your gift.
5. Repeat Step 4 for the other side.
6. You can trim the sides so they are the length you want and so they are even. If you have pinking shears or craft scissors, you can use them to trim the ends for an extra cute effect!
7. Your gift is ready to be presented. It should look good enough to eat! 😉