Make sure to squirrel my Acorn Button-On Appliqué pattern away so you can use it on your next project. Simply attach it to a standard ½-inch brown button and watch everyone go nuts over it!
This acorn button-on appliqué pattern is written fit a standard ½-inch brown button.
The acorn button-on appliqué is about 3¾ inches tall (from bottom point to tip of stem) and about 3 inches wide at the widest point (from one side of brown top section to the other side).
– Size 3.00 mm crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge
– Worsted weight (4) acrylic yarn in Gold (I used Loops & Threads Impeccable yarn in Gold.)
– Worsted weight (4) acrylic yarn in Brown (I used Loops & Threads Impeccable yarn in Chocolate.)
– Tapestry needle for weaving in ends
– Stitch markers (Optional – if needed for counting/marking stitches)
– Measuring tape
– ch = chain
– chs = chains
– dc = double crochet
– fpsc = front post single crochet
– hdc = half double crochet
– sc = single crochet
– sc2tog = single crochet 2 together (single crochet decrease)
– slst = slip stitch
– sp = space
– st = stitch
– sts = stitches
– fpsc (front post single crochet): Insert hook under the post of the single crochet stitch, yarn over and pull up a loop (there should be two loops on hook), yarn over and pull through both loops. See pictures below.
6 sc = 1 inch
6 rows of sc = 1 inch
- The acorn button-on appliqué is made in rows of mostly single crochet stitches, starting with the gold section at the bottom.
- When changing color, join the new color while completing the last sc (single crochet) of the previous color (by pulling through the new color when you have two loops on the hook in the previous color to complete the final sc).
Body of Acorn
*Use your 3.00 mm hook and your gold and dark brown worsted weight yarn to complete the body of the acorn.
*Rows 1 – 12 are worked with gold yarn.
Row 1: With gold yarn, ch 2, sc in 2nd ch from hook. (1 sc)
Row 2: Ch 1, turn, 2 sc in first st. (2 sc)
Row 3: Ch 1, turn, 2 sc in first st, 2 sc in next st. (4 sc)
Row 4: Ch 1, turn, 2 sc in first st, sc in next 2 sts, 2 sc in last st. (6 sc)
Row 5: Ch 1, turn, 2 sc in first st, sc in next 4 sts, 2 sc in last st. (8 sc)
Row 6: Ch 1, turn, sc in each st across. (8 sc)
Row 7: Ch 1, turn, 2 sc in first st, sc in next 6 sts, 2 sc in last st. (10 sc)
Rows 8-10: Ch 1, turn, sc in each st across. (10 sc)
Row 11: Ch 1, turn, 2 sc in first st, sc in next 8 sts, 2 sc in last st. (12 sc)
Row 12: Ch 1, turn, 2 sc in first st, sc in next 10 sts, 2 sc in last st, changing color to dark brown on last sc by joining/pulling through dark brown when you have two loops of gold on hook to complete the sc. (14 sc)
*You should now have dark brown yarn on your hook. Rows 13-16 are done in dark brown.
*Row 13 is a row of front-post single crochet (fpsc) stitches. Refer to the Special Stitches section for an explanation of fpsc stitches. Make sure not to skip the first post of the last sc from Row 12.
Row 13: Ch 1, turn, fpsc around each sc across. (14 fpsc)
* Row 14 is worked in both top loops of the stitches from Row 13, as normal.
Row 14: Ch 1, turn, 2 sc in first st, sc in next 5 sts, ch 2, skip next 2 sts, sc in next 5 sts, 2 sc in last st. (14 sc, 2 ch; 16 total sts)
Row 15: Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, sc in next 5 sts, 2 sc in ch-2 sp, sc in next 5 sts, sc2tog. (2 sc2tog, 12 sc; 14 total sts)
Row 16: Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, sc in next 2 sts, hdc in next 2 sts, dc in next 2 sts, hdc in next 2 sts, sc in next 2 sts, sc2tog, fasten off and neatly weave in loose ends on same side of work (this is the back side)*. (2 sc2tog, 4 sc, 4 hdc, 2 dc; 12 total sts)
*After completing Row 16, turn work (this will be the front of the appliqué).
Edging of Acorn
In order to give the acorn a finished/polished look, single crochet evenly around its perimeter (the outside of the acorn). The stem of the acorn will also be made as you work the edging. Follow the directions below.
*Use the same hook (3.00 mm) for the edging around the acorn.
*Change color for the edging in the same manner you did for the body of the acorn (join/pull through new color to complete the final sc in the old color when you have two loops of old color on hook completing the last step of the final sc in old color).
*Cut yarn after each color change (do not carry yarn as you work).
- Hold work so the front side is facing you.
- Attach your gold yarn to the top of the first st of Row 12 (this should be on left side when looking at the front, in between Row 12 and Row 13).
- Follow the pattern below to single crochet evenly around the perimeter of the body of the acorn. You will start at the top of the gold section on the left side (where you just attached your gold yarn) and work your stitches evenly down the left side and back up the right side toward the brown top of the acorn. When you reach the brown top section, you will change color to brown and work your stitches evenly around the top of the acorn, adding a stem to the middle of the top as you work.
After attaching your gold yarn, ch 1, work 1 sc is same stitch as the chain-1 (the same stitch to which you attached your yarn), work 11 sc evenly down the left side of the acorn until you reach the very bottom point (you should have one sc per row), work 2 sc in bottom space, work 12 sc evenly (placing one sc per row) up the edge of the right side of the acorn, changing color to brown when completing the 12th sc (by pulling through brown when you have two loops of gold on hook), which should be worked into the top of the last st of Row 12 of the body (by pulling through brown when you have two loops of gold on hook). With brown yarn now on hook, work 4 sc evenly up the right edge of the brown top (placing one sc per brown row), sc in next 5 sts across the top, slst in next st (which should be the 2nd dc from Row 16), ch 4, sc in 2nd ch from hook, slst in next 2 chs, slst in next dc from Row 16 (this joins the stem to the top of the acorn), sc in next 5 sts across the top, work 4 sc evenly down the left edge of the brown top (placing one sc per brown row), slst in first gold sc of the edging to join. Fasten off and neatly weave in all the loose ends on the back of work.
***Once you finish weaving in all loose ends, your acorn button-on appliqué is ready to be placed on a ½-inch brown button.
The pattern and photos of this item are the property of TheCrafterLife. This pattern and design are subject to copyright, and are for personal, non-commercial use only. You may not distribute, sell this pattern, or claim it as your own under any circumstances.
You may not sell my patterns or claim them as your own. You may make items to sell (i.e. on Etsy) from my patterns but I ask that you link back to my site and provide credit for the pattern. You are welcome to share my patterns on social media as long as you link back directly to my site by providing the link. No copying and pasting of any patterns will be allowed under any circumstances.